Tuesday 1 March 2011

Meon Valley Plod 2011

What a race. This was my fifth running of this race and one I always look forward to; it is my favourite. It all started so well. It had rained on the Saturday so the course would be wet but not too bad. It was nice and sunny which looked great and the forecast was for run after 5pm so I had on shorts, my compression top and a running top along with my sunglasses (these would look ridiculous by the end).

The first 7 miles were fine with good weather, good conditions and a decent pace (9 minute miles unless it was a big hill or blockage like a stile). Then, we hit the mud. This was nasty, sticky, evil stuff that tried to suck your foot down on every step and collect all over your shoe. I spent a good proportion going sideways, trying to stay on my feet and generally acting like a drunk on my way home from the pub. It sucked all the energy from your legs. Then, it started to rain and kept going for the last 8 miles.

The mud just never ended and I started to get very cross with it, calling it lots of names and using abusive language. It turns out mud can take a lot of insults.

I ran strong over the last couple of miles to make sure I was well inside the 4 hour mark and would have been 5 minutes quicker if I hadn't tripped up and gashed my knee but that is cross country. With all that, I love this event.  I didn't enjoy it this time as much as other years but it is still my favourite and I will be back next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment