Wednesday 7 July 2010

Dartmoor Classic


A couple of weeks ago, I did the Dartmoor Classic down in Devon. 106 hilly miles on and off Dartmoor.

It was at this race last year that I had my first crash, gouging a hole in my knee and elbow and costing me £500 of bike repairs. This time I managed to get around in one piece.

I am a city person.  I love London and never want to leave but I do love Devon and especially Dartmoor.  I love the stark beauty and expansive views.  I also love hills for running and cycling and there are a lot to choose from on Dartmoor.

It was a very hot day and I was worried about water.  There is one feed stop in Princetown that you go past twice but the organisers had put on more water on the course at several pubs.  Very sensible.

I knew the course from last year and from many trips to Devon to see my Dad who lives in Moretonhampstead and my mum who is in Yealmpton.  It is up and down all through the 106 miles but the biggest climbs come when you go on and off the moor.  You do this for the first time pretty soon after the start on the way to Hemsworthy.  It is long and steepish and gets the heart racing but when you get to the top, the views are amazing.


I was on my own this year and never really hooked up with a group but that was fine by me.  I just enjoyed the weather and the scenery and had a great time.  I hit 51 mph the decent into Tavistock which was fun.  I've lost a bit of my descending bottle since last years crash and it is good to let myself go from time to time.

I was not trying to break any records but I was trying to get silver (sub 7:05) so I made sure the two feed stops at Princetown were short and I pressed on where ever possible.  I did stop for a while at one water stop.  I didn't want to take the risk of dehydrating so I stopped at a scout hut and queued for 10 minutes for water.  This proved to be my undoing......I missed silver by 7 minutes.

At round 90 miles, you come off the moor for the last time and its about 3 miles down hill into Moretonhampstead where my Dad was sat outside his house.  That 3 miles and then seeing my Dad is such a great feeling.  Then its another uphill before a 10 mile stretch, mostly downhill, to the finish.

I finished in 7:12 so didn't get silver but not to worry.  I was in the top 280 our of 750 so not many got gold and silver.  I still got my bronze coin, a musette bag and a granite trophy.  I love the Fred Whitton and I had a great time at the Etape last year but I think this is my favourite ride.

On the train home to London, I got chatting to a guy with his bike who had done some crazy 100 mile night ride over Exmoor with just regular bike lights.  There is always someone who does something harder or longer or hillier or stupider than you :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment