Friday 28 August 2009

Moose on the Loose

I took part in the Moose on the Loose 10 mile race on Sunday. It was in Nashua, Mew Hampshire.

It was a very friendly race with about 300 runners participating in the 4 lap race. Races with laps are not my favourite and given the amount of countryside around I'm not sure why there was not more than 2.5 miles of trail to run in but it was ok.

The race started at 9am but it was still over 75 degrees when we started. By the time we finished it was well into the 80s and very hot. Despite buying extra water, the organisers ran out at the end. I think this was mostly due to people pouring it over their heads as well as drinking it.

I ran a respectable 1:25:10 and came 135th which I was very happy with. Despite very few casual looking runners, I finished about 'mid-table' in the field. Given I've only been back running a few weeks, it was a good days work.

Interesting journey home. As I left Nashua, I wasn't watching my speed and it seems I went 69 in a 55 limit. It was a large, empty dual carriageway but the speed limits are ridiculously low in the US. I know how fast I was going because 5 minutes later a state troopers car was behind me with his lights flashing. I pulled over thinking he was after someone else but it was me. The movie scenario played out with an overweight cop slowly walking to my window and asking for "license and registration please". Once he realised I was not from New York (my car was a rental with NY plates) and I had a spiffing English accent (which got more plum as I spoke) he gave me a ticking off and a written warning before sending me on my way. I was spot on the speed limit all the way home and it took ages.

We are on to Niagara next to see some waterfall.

3 comments:

  1. The "waterfall" is fab, don't let any American tell you the American Falls are better (as I had when I visited years ago).

    When Jez and I were in the States on holiday in 2005 he ran a red light (and I warned him he was cutting it close) and immediately there was a cop on his tail. The Overweight Cop stereotype was flummoxed by our EU driving licences. Once he realised we wern't local he was really lovely and friendly, just gave a justified ticking off and some handy hints about the road we were heading for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Racing while on holiday. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love racing on holiday Red. It seems all exotic :-)

    Jul - You are right. The American falls are nothing in comparison. I nearly got done again by the cops on the drive back to New York. I was sticking to no more than 70 in a 65 (painful) but just lost concentration for a moment (I think the iPod suffled to a good song) and I went over 80 just as I passed a cop. He pulled out 3 cars back and stuck with me for ages. I imagine he was running my plate and decided not to bother when it came up as a rental.

    ReplyDelete