Sunday 11 October 2009

Big Weekend

Normally, after running a 15 mile race, I'd take the next day off. Not today. It was my wife's birthday and we were going to her sister's for lunch. My youngest daughter had a birthday party to go to first but my wife suggested she go to the party and I run to her sisters.

So the choice was to stay in bed for longer and run 13 miles or get up and go to a kids party. Even though my legs were like lead, I chose the run option.

I had to run with a rucksack as my wife didn't take my change of clothes which didn't make things easy. The weather was fine, too warm if anything. I walked up to the Common just to stretch my legs and then set off. Nothing really hurt and I didn't have any pain in the usual places but I just had no energy. I couldn't get any speed and just plodded along. I quickly realised I just had to get through it.

I thought I might get a few waves of energy and be able to pick up the pace but it never happened. Hills were the worst parts and climbing up to Crystal Palace was torture. I did have a couple of short walking breaks but eventually made it to Keston in around 2 hrs 15 mins.

So that was 28 miles in two days. I'm not sure I've ever run that far before in two days. I haven't run the day before or after any of my marathons and when I've run 20 mile training runs, I've not run more than 5 before or after. I new record I guess.

3 comments:

  1. Good effort! It's many years since I put in that sort of distance in a weekend. When I say many, I mean approximately 25!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers. I think an IM counts as a pretty big weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think i'd make the same choice given bed/running or kids party!

    if you keep this up you'll meet your yearly target ;)

    ReplyDelete