Saturday 3 October 2009

Weekend Running

I lazed around on Saturday morning listening to Adam and Joe and put off going out for a run. The Indian summer had well and truly ended and it was blustery and miserable out. I eventually got my arse out of the door at lunchtime and started on my 10k route.

The first few miles were terrible. My legs were so stiff especially my right calf. I had to stop and stretch several times as it felt like running with splints on my legs. I persevered and by about mile four, my legs started to loosen up and I got to enjoy that last section around Clapham Common.

The only thing I can think caused such sore legs was the football on Tuesday. My muscles and joints are not used to running with sharp changes of direction and my lack of core stability can't have helped.

Sunday was the long run, a minimum of a half marathon. I was worried as it was the longest run for a long long time and after yesterday's hobble, I thought it would be a real struggle. Fortunately, the weather was a lot better with sun and not much wind so it wasn't too hard to get myself out. I planned a nice route and set off around 1pm.

I ran to Clapham Common and then to Wandsworth before heading to Wimbledon Common. I have run on Wimbledon Common a few times but never run over the entire length and I was surprised how big it actually is and how many trails there are. It was good to run on loose stones and on uneven paths to get my ankles used to off-road running with three cross country races coming up.

It was then into Richmond Park and a loop through the middle and out through East Sheen gate. It was at 8.5 miles as I left the park and I was doing ok. Nothing was hurting too much and I was so much loser than Saturday. My right knee was a little sore but nothing to worry about (I hope). It was then off to Putney, Wandsworth and Clapham Junction. I was at 11 miles in Putney and it was starting to get tough but I was thinking it was 13 miles so not far too go.

As I ran on I realised I was 3 or 4 miles from home and I was going to have to dig it. It was a tough last 20 minutes and I was pleased to stop running but absolutely delighted I had completed 15 miles. I'm well on target now.

5 comments:

  1. I'm failing to mix running with cycling miserably. I need to up my game or I will never get to 10k nevermind half marathons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Respect. I still can't countenance the idea of running, although I know it is the only thing that really shifts my weight.

    Still, once the Audax season is finished, the winter Orienteering season will be upon us, and I may give that a go again this year.

    Keep it going, you put me to shame

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes you will Red. You are very fit already. Its not too much of a leap for you.

    Data - Its funny, its the other way round with me. I can run 5 times a week and my weight is ok but I'm no where near skinny yet with my cycling, I was the thinest I've been in years just before the Etape.

    Never tried Orienteering. What's it like?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good exercise, cross coutry run with a map reading exercise to take your mind off the pain.

    Advantage for me is that many people cant go too fast since they either cant read the map at that speed, or go into oxygen debt and make silly mistakes. At that point just plodding on at a comfortable pace pays dividends.

    ReplyDelete