Sunday 18 October 2009

Wimbledon 10K

Saturday was supposed to be a long run but I had some revision to do for some teaching skills tests that are coming up and by the time they were done, I didn't feel like running. So on Sunday, I was annoyed at my lack of exercise and the fact that I had a 10k race booked. 6 miles was just not long enough but I'd paid for it and I hate wasting money.

It was the Wimbledon 10k which I had run once before. Its a nice enough route up Wimbledon Hill, through the Village and over part of the Common before heading back down to the rugby club.

I got there early to pick up my number (postal strike), got ready, and did a bit of a jog before starting. I had no real expectations as I hadn't really tried to run fast for ages. The first 3kms felt terrible and I already had excuses rolling around in my head. I managed to get to the hill in under 5 minute kms and once I got to the top and half way, I started to get into it. I felt I could open up a bit and began to pass some people.

I started to think about my time and aimed for sub-50. By 8kms, I realised that I could go 1, 2 or more minutes faster and pushed. It was getting hard but I still kept it up. I realised there was an outside chance of sub-47 which I couldn't quite believe and I went for it. It was further than I thought but still got in at 47:31 which was 47:19 chip timed.

I am actually really stunned by the time. I felt like a plodded the first half of the race and could have tried much harder especially if I had warmed up more. I haven't done many 10ks (9 in total) but this is my 3rd fastest time. I think I could really give my PB a go.

Stats
Distance: 10k
Time: 47:19
Pace: 7:37 minute miles
Place: 213th out of 757
Weather: Cold but clear

Splits
1 - 4:56
2 - 4:43
3 - 4:50
4 - 4:59
5 - 4:52
6 - 4:57
7 - 4:44
8 - 4:17
9 - 4:36
10 - 4:25

No comments:

Post a Comment