Sunday 13 December 2009

Point of destruction

Well, it seems that I ran myself into the ground last weekend. I felt achy and tired after the run and of course my knee was hurt but I didn't think it was anything out of the ordinary after such a tough run.

However, by Wednesday, when all the usual aches and pains had gone, I was left with a very sore right knee and a very bad back. I found out how bad on Thursday night. I went to a Christmas party and forgot my wallet on the table when I left at the end of the evening. I got to the bus stop before I realised so made my way back. I was now late for the baby sitter so ran back to the restaurant. After 30 seconds of running I pulled up with stunning pain shooting through both my knee and back.

The knee pain subsided but the back didn't. I had trouble sleeping that night and I can still feel twinges in both areas. I guess it was the 2 ltrs of water in the Camelbak that did some of the damage.

So it looks like no running until after Christmas (I have a small operation on Wednesday to have a vein removed from my leg) so I'm done for the year. My 2009 stats are complete. Not happy about that but I guess I finished on a high with the marathon.

4 comments:

  1. Take it easy! Enjoy the festive season and don't overdo the running on the comeback!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry to hear that. more time to practice swimming though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really sorry to hear that mate. Obviously I can sympathise with an enforced layoff. But as you say with Wednesday coming, the timing could have been MUCH worse. Plan for a few weeks off, and as hard as it may be enjoy it. After a year of pretty much solid training anyone would need a decent break.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am taking it easy thanks. Too easy. Must stay out of the kitchen. The Goose is getting fat.

    ReplyDelete