Monday 21 December 2009

Post op and training plan

So its been 5 days since the op and recovery is going well. I've gone from immobility to walking OK. My right thigh is one big bruise in a range a beautiful colours and I have stitches in a place that needed a particularly steady hand from the surgeon (I'm glad I didn't think too much about that before hand).

I have to walk a little everyday before my stitches are removed on the 27th and then I might go for an easy swim and cycle at Centre Parks over New Year. I will return to gentle training on the 9th if everything goes to plan but I am aware that the docs did say 4 to 6 weeks. I'm not sure why. If my stitches are out and the wound has healed, what harm can running do. Especially as they are encouraging me to walk everyday to improve circulation.

Anyway, I am having to concentrate really hard on my eating. Its so hard. There is a giant tin of Quality Street on the side, loads of cheese in the fridge and Panettone in the cupboard. I must be strong.

I'm staying focused by doing my ironman training plan. I have a book called "Be Iron Fit" by Don Fink which seems really good. There is three training programs, Competitive, Intermediate and Just Finish. I've gone for the middle one, Intermediate, as it seems reasonable for me.

The first 10 weeks (Base) averages out as 8.5 hours a week, the 2nd 10 weeks (Build) averages as 11.5 and the final 10 weeks (Peak) is 13 hours. It looks doable on paper, probably different in reality.

3 comments:

  1. Hi - all the best with this and hope the post op recovery goes well. As for the Quality Streets..... tuck in!!

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Stuart. The QS been there for 4 days and I've only had 3. Its a minor Christmas miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can we have a bruise photo please?

    :-)

    ReplyDelete