Sunday 14 March 2010

100 races and still I make school boy errors

Today was my 100th race.  After starting running in 2002, I have now completed 100 running races in one form or another.  For a 5K race to a 28 mile cross country, I've loved pretty much all of them.  I do really really love running.

This was apparent today.  As I set off on the Spitfire 20 from Dunsfold Airfield (where they film Top Gear), we ran down the runway before turning back on ourselves.  I was very far forward for some reason and as we turned, I looked back at the big crowd of runners in the cool, crisp, clear morning and it was about perfect.

The race stayed pretty perfect for a while.  I was running at 8 minute miles with my heart rate firmly in zone 2 and loving it.  This lasted until mile 7 went we did a big loop and re-entered the airfield from the opposite end.  It was then  3 mile slog into heavy winds which wasn't pleasant.  It was then onto lap too and it started to feel like a struggle.  I still kept up sub 9 minute miles but not without considerable effort.  This shows in my heart rate that goes up and up as the race goes on.

At mile 16, my ipod switched from podcasts to music and it gave me a boost.  Linkin Park got me to mile 18 in good time but that left the 2 terrible, windy, exposed miles to go.  I latched onto another runner and she pulled me round to mile 19.  Then my elementary mistake rared its ugly heard.  I had forgotten to put vaseline on my feet and my little toe on my left foot had a big, nasty blister on it and it really hurt.  I hobbled the last mile and finished in 2:55.  A very pleasing time.

We got a great medal. Its very heavy and shiny. I thought the race was ok. The 7 mile section outside the aerodrome is lovely but the 3 mile inside is horrible. The wind is bad but the worse thing was being able to see everyone else on the route as it was so flat. That is mentally tough.  But having just watched Eddie Izzard and his marathons, day after day, on some terrible roads in terrible conditions, I shouldn't complain.
So, 100 races done.  Only 14 days before 101st race.  Here's to my 200th.

4 comments:

  1. Not a bad time at all! My first run is in 2 weeks (Wilmslow 1/2 marathon) and I'm seriously worried about the Blackpool Marathon on 11th April - haven't gone over 15km yet in training, though have averaged about 3 runs a week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice one! i have to say though, that doesn't sounds like a fun race. good mental toughness training though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your events are coming thick and fast! Sub 3-hours for a 20-miler is good going. I'd be delighted with that at Ashby next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. John - You'll be ok. You're cycling fitness will translate.

    Kate - You are right. It wasn't fun but it was great training. I couldn't have gone out on my own and run like that.

    Rob - Cheers. Yeah, its all go. Burgess Hill Sportive next Sunday. That's 4 in 4 weeks.

    ReplyDelete