Sunday 28 March 2010

Big step forward

I had probably my first really good swimming session today. I had my first 1:1 session with Maxine. We spent the first 15 minutes concentrating on legs. I still trash my legs so we did loads of drills about trying to kick from the hips rather than the knees. Also to kick a lot slower so it stabilises rather than propels.

We then did 15 minutes on my hand entry. I enter too far forward with a rigid arm so we did one arm drills to try and get me to drop my hand about level with the elbow of the other outstretched arm, go in thumb first and then go forward just under the water as I rotate. It took a while to get it right but it feels smoother.

The best thing about the session was Maxine saying that "for the first time, you actually look like a swimmer". That made me very happy.

Then it was the hour group lesson where we did basic extension, torpedo, shark fin and finger dragging. I hardly ever felt like I had a stop for a few minutes and catch my breath and didn't want to get out at the end. I'm guessing I swam somewhere between 1km and 1mile, maybe even more which I'm delighted with.

No comments:

Post a Comment