Thursday 25 March 2010

Surprising problem

Since I've started this teaching placement, I have an issue that I did not see coming.  I knew I'd be tired, I knew I'd get lots of colds from the kids and I knew I'd struggle to find time to train during the week.  But I never even though about the problem of drinking.

No, I'm not quaffing the beer of an evening.  Its staying hydrated that is the issue.  You just don't get the opportunity to go to the loo so drinking my usual amount of water is just not an option.  You can't just go to the toilet during a lesson and leave the kids to fend for themselves.

So I get a 7 minute comfort break at 10:30, then over lunch and then at the end of the day.  As water goes straight through me anyway, when I tried to drink my usual amount, I spent the morning dancing around, watching the clock until it got to 10:30.  Its not ideal to be more focused on the loo than your teaching.

So I now drink when I get up and then don't drink again until lunchtime.  I feel dehydrated but there is nothing I can really do about it.

4 comments:

  1. that's really rubbish! i struggle to drink at my work (hospital) but at least i can get to the toilet. i guess you just need to be really good at dehydrating in the evenings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, recognise that. Today I went from arriving at school to lunch without getting a chance to even grab a glass of water, let alone go to the loo. Actually it's quite a problem if I plan a training ride or run straight after school - If the school has a water policy (most do) you should be able to keep a bottle on your desk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you drop a Nuun tablet in the water you do have, so that you know you're at least making the most of it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am allowed to drink during the day. They are very easy going but not with loo breaks.

    Ed - that's actually a good idea.

    ReplyDelete