Sunday 2 January 2011

Bye 2010, hello 2011

It has been a mixed year.  I am very happy with some aspects but disappointed with the year overall.

Highs
  • Brighton Marathon - I was pleased with my performance in Brighton.  I ran strong for 22 miles, well within my 3:50 target, but I just couldn't maintain it.  But I KNOW that I can train harder and be that bit stronger to maintain the pace for the last 35 minutes and achieve a sub 3:50 or better.
  • Fred Whitton Cyclosportive - After an average cycling training program, I managed to cycle ok and the highlight was getting up both Hardknott and Wrynose in one go.
  • Meon Valley Plod - As usual, I really enjoyed running my favourite race of all time.
  • Dartmoor Classic - A fantastic ride around Dartmoor.
  • Swimming - I started the year a complete swimming novice but after a lot of practice and some lessons, I can now swim with a stoke that looks vaguely competent.
Lows
  • Inconsistency - Looking at my running and cycling log, I can see big holes in my training.  I'd run well for 2 weeks and then not do anything for a week.  Not great form.
  • EnduranceLife Marathon - I made a mess with the family calendar and double booked myself.  As a result, I did not do it.
  • Ironman - It was meant to be the year I became an Ironman but it was not meant to be.  The combination of my teacher training and swimming ability meant it just didn't happen.
  • Swimming - Yes, I know it was a high but it was also a low.  Whilst I improved my swimming technique 10-fold, I found my limitations in open water.  Its not nice to find things you are scared of.
My totals of the year were ok.  I was hoping for over 1000 running and over 2000 cycling but I didn't make either.  745 running is fine but given I ran 136 in December (18% of total), I had some poor months.

Yearly Totals
Swimming: 24 kms
Cycling: 1913 miles
Running: 745 miles

My goals for 2011 are a lot higher.  I should have more time now that I'm not doing coursework anymore.  I am still working a very long week but that is no excuse.  I also have the motivation of running the Brighton Marathon with my brother.  He is doing so well that I will have to train hard to be ready.

Goals
Swimming: Any will do
Cycling: 2000
Running: 1200

Good luck to everyone in 2011.  Stay injury free and I hope you all achieve your goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment