Saturday 22 January 2011

IceMan Cross Country 12k Race

Getting up at 6:40 on a Saturday morning to go and run in the cold is not everyone's idea of fun but I was really looking forward to this. I was very tired and did struggle to get out of the house but I made it to Clapham Junction with 3 minutes to spare.

An easy trip to Ask Vale and then a 5 mile cycle to the race in Deepcut took less time than expected so I had about an hour to stand around in the cold. Not pleasant.

Race started at 10 and I needed a quick comfort break just before the gun so I found myself at the back of the field. This meant a slow first mile as I got stuck at tight pinch points and had to run around people. By mile 2 I was in my stride and loving it.

My plan was to push fairly hard. I enjoyed a previous HumanRace cross country event (WildMan) back in November but was disappointed in my finishing position so I wanted to do better. I really pushed on the hills (there were lots of them), tried to be braver downhill and aim for a 10k pace on the flats.

I felt good and only tired in the last mile or so. I'm still waiting on my official position but my pace was over a minute per mile faster than the WildMan so I'm delighted.

9:45 - 3 or 4 pinch points in the first half mile where everyone had to walk.
8:12 - Space opened up. Started running well
7:52 - Chasing down and passed someone
8:15 - Still feeling good, attacking the hills
8:12 - Still good
8:33 - Beginning to tire
9:08 - The first mile and this mile is where I lost the 2 minutes I needed for sub hour.
2:17 - Wanted to beat a man in a silly hat. I beat him :-)

Disappointed with mile 7 but overall, I'm very happy.  The only downside of the day was leaving my SealSkinz cycling gloves on the train.  Its very annoying.  I left them on the seat next to me.  I'm sure the girl sitting opposite saw them as I was standing with my bike for about 5 minutes before I got off.  Oh well, better go shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment