Saturday 8 January 2011

Unofficial PB

I was supposed to get up early today to get to Bushy Park for the Park Run 5k TT at 9am but in my lazy state I did manage it. I spent the rest of the day putting off running but finally got out at 6pm.

I decided to run a slow mile and then do a fast 5k. I set my watch to autolap at 5k, ran the warm-up, selected my new 25 minute playlist, hit lap and went off hard. I had no real goal other than to pust it and try to maintain a constant speed for the whole 3 miles.

I tried not to look at my watch and managed it until about half way. It was hard going and I kept having to push myself to avoid letting my speed drop. It find the concentration levels very demanding.  It did help that I had a couple of other runners to chase down.

The last half a mile goes slightly uphill (and I mean slightly) but it made it so hard to keep the pace. I think it did drop a bit.

My watch autolapped before I could see my time so it wasn't until I'd done my mile cool-down and got home that I could see my splits. 5.2 miles in 40 minutes. The 5k split was 21.21, my fastest every 5k and an unofficial PB.

Now I can't wait until Saturday where I will definitely get to the Park Run to have a go and try and get under 22 for the first time. The cynic in me says the Garmin was out so I need an official event. Either way, it's proof that I am getting quicker.

No comments:

Post a Comment