Thursday 20 May 2010

Crossroads

I work life is going very well at the moment.  I got offered the job I went for this week.  It was highly sort after and even though I thought I'd messed up the interview, they said I was the obvious choice which was amazing.  So I start in full time work in September.  Blimey.

Unfortunately, when one part of your life goes well, another often suffers.  My training is now a problem.


When, at the end of last year, I chose to do the Ironman, I put some thought into it.  People told me that my NQT (Newly Qualified Teacher) year is very tough so I thought I couldn't do something like an Ironman in 2011.  So it was this year or 2012 so this year it was.  I knew I'd be working hard but would also have some time to myself to train hard.
 
As its turned out, its been so much harder than I thought.  Currently, I'm up at 6:30, get the kids ready, drop my youngest off at school before 8, in work before 8.  Work all day, leave about 5:30, home by 6.  Kids, dinner etc. and then do coursework until bed.  I'm not asking for sympathy, I actually enjoy it but its leaving me no time for exercise during the week.  This is NOT Ironman training.
 
My training this week is a prime example.  A hard weekend followed by nothing more than five 6 mile rides to school and back.  That's not going to sustain me on a 15 hour endurance event.  I know how you have to respect the distance for a marathon so an Ironman needs to be revered.
 
This, coupled with the swimming, has left me at a crossroads.  Logic says I should just be pleased with the school/job stuff and go back to exercising for fun.  Yes, I will loose the £300 for the entry fee but I can take away the stress and enjoy my summer.
 
On the other hand, I'm not one to quit.  I've never really quit any sporting endeavour.  This will be a first.
 
As there is no time pressure to make a decision, I can leave it until the week before but I will probably come to some sort of decision soon. 

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the job - sounds like all the hard work is paying off!

    I can certainly understand you feeling like you do and with your schedule I'd no doubt be feeling the same. It seems to me though that you already have the run and bike fitness in the bag, so if you can find time to get a long run and bike in at the weekend you would be fine on that front. You just need to find a way to get through the swim by hook or by crook.

    I like Joe Friel's advice in that it's not necessarily total training volume that determines success at the Ironman but the quality and volume of your key training sessions i.e. your long bike, run and swim.

    "You can quit, and they won't care, but you will always know."
    -John Collins, creator of the Ironman Triathlon

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make quitting sound impossible John. However, I'm not even sure I can fit in the long weekend stuff at the moment. Lovely sunshine outside and I'm here writing lesson plans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the job, I sincerely hope you find teaching as rewarding as I do.

    On the Ironman training front, I wouldn't get too hung up on total hours. You've got a great base fitness already as witnessed by doing the Brighton Marathon, the Fred Whitton and several other events throughout the spring. With all the commuting you're doing all you need is one decent long ride and one long run a week. I averaged 6.5 hours per week last year including commutes etc. And, I wouldn't worry if you only managed a long run (20k or so) every fortnight. If you keep things ticking over through June and manage 2 or 3 real quality weekends towards the end of June/beginning of July, you'll be fine. I was.

    ReplyDelete