Saturday 15 May 2010

The Fred Whitton Challenge

Well, its been a week. I intended to write my Fred Whitton report on Monday but its been a very very busy few days. I've said it before but this teaching lark is hard work.

I've also had a stinking cold, the same one I had in my 1st placement and 2nd placement no doubt. Feeling rotten, waking before 6am and working until midnight each day is not very conducive to blog writing or exercise.

Anyway, the hard work might be paying off as I have an interview for a job on Tuesday. Its a reception class teacher in a great school and I really want it. I'm up against 5 others so its going to be tough. I'm trying to stay relaxed but I really want it so I'm very nervy.

Anyway, back to cycling. This was my second attempt at the Fred. I did it last year in 8:50 which I was pleased with at the time given 30 minutes of stops for machanicals. This year I did not know what to expect. I had done a lot of cycling last year and loads of hills. This year, I had completed more exercise hours but not cycling up hills.

I set off with some mates and we planned to stay together for a while. From the off, it felt hard. My breathing was shallow (the countryside makes me wheezy) and the hills felt hard. I got up the first hill and then Kirkstone pass to find everyone waiting for me.  This was mainly because I had forgotten to tighten my front quick-release and after a 30 mph downhill, I chalked off one of my nine lives.

We continued and by around 40 miles, I was starting to get into it. Still not great but a few fast miles in a train certainly put a smile on my face.

It was then onto Honister, the second hardest hill on the route. It kicks up really hard from the bottom and is really tough. I got up in one go and enjoyed the decent to the first feed station. A few minutes later, everyone else arrived and we set off after a short malt loaf break.

It was straight up Newlands which felt ok and then Whinlater which was much harder than I remember. Even with the Tour de France style crowds, it was a pain.

I remember it being fairly flat between Whinlatter and the second feed station but there is Fangs Brow, Kelton Fell, Cold Fell and Irton Pike that I had forgotten about. I got to the feed station feeling ok but weary of what was to come.

It was further than I remember from the feed to Hardknott but it hove into view and looked more ridiculous than I remember. I got up without walking last time but I stopped twice. My aim this time, no stops. It gets so steep, so quickly and it was hard getting from the phone box to the cattle grid. People were walking already but I soldiered on. Its in two stages, the bottom goes up to about 25% before in levels off to a mere 10% so I just focused on getting there for a 'rest'. Its a balancing act between going for it and not blowing up. Go too slow and you fall off. Go too fast and you'll never make it.



I made it to the 'flat bit' and went as slow as possible until my heart rate went down a little. There was a girl giving out cups of water in a passing point and I cycled round in a circle a few times to take a cup (I had emptied my water bottles out at the bottom). How kind.

I got ready and went for it again. It was the famous 33% switchback. I went hard and did it ok. Only problem was, I forgot how long and steep the last bit was. I only just made it with the pain getting greater and greater.

It was then the terrifying decent before the valley and Wrynose which was hard but ok. My lack of miles on the bike were really taking there tole and I limped home. I finished in 8:30 which was pretty good if not brilliant.

Stats
Total Time: 8:30:41
Ride Time: 7:53:02
Average HR: Zone 3.2


Nutrition
1 x SiS gel
2 x Packets of shots
1 x Powerbar
2 x Ham sandwich
2 x Cherry flapjack
2 x Torq drink bottles
2 x High5 4:1 drink bottles
2 x Water drink bottles

6 comments:

  1. 8:30 for the fred Witton sounds very respectable to me.

    Well done on getting up Hardknott!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers guys. It is respectable. I just know I have more in me but it wasn't my goal so its fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good work! the IM won't be on such a tough course. well done!

    ...good luck with the interview

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kate. The Fred will stand me in good sted for the IM. And I'll be so happy to get the job, I can't tell you. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats Simon - sounds like a great effort.

    ReplyDelete