Sunday 2 May 2010

I didn't die

As I lay in bed last night, thinking that Staines was not a very glamorous place to end my life and that drowning was not the way I wanted to go, I really thought there was a possibility that I would have to blog today to say that the Ironman dream was over.  I thought that if today went badly, I would at least have time to get some of my money back from Ironman UK.

It was with this positive, up-beat view that I got up at 5:40 and set out down the M4 to Staines and Heron Lake for my first ever swim in a wet suit and my first ever open water swim.  I got there at 6:30 and met up with Simon, my mentor for the morning.  He's a good friend who did the UK Ironman in 2008 so is well placed to advise me.

As I parked up, I saw there were already people in the water and it just looked odd.  I've never seen a triathlon so it was all very new.  I put on my wetsuit on top of a pair of Kraft shorts and a compression top as its what I will be wearing in two weeks time.

All suited up (with my two borrowed swim caps) I followed Simon down the small jetty into the water.  It was cold but not too bad.  I felt it on my hands and feet but it was OK.  That is until I started swimming.  As soon as I put my head in the water in was freezing.  It took my breath away and I had a little panic.

What was brilliant was the wet suit.  Everyone had told me that they are really buoyant and keep you afloat and its true.  I was not going to die in Staines.  I could just stop and float without effort.

From then on, a pattern formed where I would swim about 20 strokes OK but feel more and more stressed and tight-chested forcing me to stop.  I'd relax and talk to the extremely patient Simon and then set off again.  It was the same feeling as in the pool; not out of breath from a lack of fitness but from a panic or fear or something.

The good news is that my speed seemed OK so I know that as long as I keep going or even reduce the stops down, I can finish the distance.  I will now go every week I can and just concentrate on doing slightly longer each time.  I will try and increase that 20 stokes to 25 between stops and then 30 and so on.

A huge thank you to Simon for holding my hand (figuratively) around the lake and only spooking me once by hiding behind a buoy.  He did laugh when I yelped after something touched my foot (definitely a shark or stingray) but I'll forgive him that.

4 comments:

  1. Glad you are still here to tell the tale Simon! Another milestone achieved, it's great reading about your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Done! Sounds like another hurdle overcome! I'm really enjoying your blog at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice one. can't say i'm at all envious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done.
    I've never had the nerve to do a an open water swim. Its one of the things on my to-do list.

    Although as I often think the swimming pools cold i'm not sure I'm going to like swimming in a lake much.

    ReplyDelete