Monday 7 June 2010

Chiltern 100


I had originally booked up to do the Blenheim Tri today but given my recent tribulations, it was a relief when SimonO phoned up and asked if I wanted to do the Chiltern 100.  I jumped at the chance.  A valid excuse to avoid the water.

The recent sunny weather had gone but it was still warm which was nice.  I had no idea what to expect as I hadn't looked at any of the details.  I got to registration and looked at the course and realised I was in for a tough day.  For a start, it should be the Chiltern 107 and secondly, the profile looked like a map of the alps.  I was told it was 21 proper hills; nothing to difficult but it would be death by 1000 cuts (too dramatic?).


After messing about at the start (I always faff, this time I left my glasses in the car) we set off at around 8:30.  SimonO is quicker than me but decided to stay at my pace to stop him going off too fast.  We still arrived at the first feed stop at my 37 with an average of around 17mph.  The hills so far were nothing to bad but it was relentless.  There was hardly any flat so there were no free miles sitting on the back of a group doing 24mph.

The next 20 miles were OK and we continued the same pace but we were starting to feel it.  Simon's back was beginning to hurt and my knee was getting tender.  The biggest of the hills were in this section with Whiteleaf being the steepest and a couple of others feeling very long.  Getting to the second feed stop at 73 miles was a relief.  My knee was really giving me grief but that was nothing compared to Simon's back.

I had a bar and a gel and water.  I needed water most as it was getting warmer.  The sun was coming through the clouds and it was very very hot in the forests on the climbs.

The last 30 miles was all about getting it done.  We had both had enough and just wanted to stop like most people.  Every hill felt really hard but we plodded on.  Our initial estimate of under 6.5 hours went out of the window and getting in under 7 was more likely.

Then Simon realise where we were; 4 miles from home and it was flat all the way.  He got a third or forth or fifth wind and took the front and went for it.  With two other guys and myself in his wake, we flew towards the finish, picking up other riders as we went.  It was great fun trying to hang onto the back.  It was fun right up to the point where he thought we'd missed a turn sign and yelled STOP! making everyone go from 25mph to 0 in about 5 feet.  We hadn't missed it :-)

Stats:
Distance: 107
Elevation Gain: 2,620
Time: 6:45:00 (not official yet)
Pace: 15.9 mph
Max Speed: 47.6 mph
Nutrition: Gel x 1, Bars x 2, Ride shots x 2 bags, Torq drink x 3 bottles, Water x 3 bottles

2 comments:

  1. That profile just looks fantastic!
    I love it (or should that be hate it?) when the climbs are all steep and long enough to get a name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I prefer the bigguns. At least you know exactly why you are so tired.

    ReplyDelete