Thursday 3 June 2010

Nasty insects

I love cycling in the sun.  As soon as I knew it was going to be hot today I starting working my arse off so I could free up most of the day allowing me to get out.  I finished working at 1:30am on Wednesday night / Thursday morning but I was free.

Now, many of my usual cycling routes go through Box Hill which is very wooded.  Sun and woods equal insects.  Eating the odd small fly is annoying but a hazard I can live with but today, the woods were full of caterpillars hanging from trees at about head height in the middle of the road.  I head-butted many as I only saw them at the last minute.  Resisting the urge not to swerve violently was hard.

Of course, my biggest fear was eventually realised then one hit me full in the mouth.  I just about avoided both eating it and falling off.  Nasty.

Other than this, I had a great ride.  67 miles, topped up my cycling tan and rode at a good pace.

1 comment:

  1. We seem to have sworms of greenfly. Rather glad we dont have caterpillars hanging from the trees.

    ReplyDelete