Monday 4 January 2010

Becoming a swimmer

I've never been much of a swimmer. Not because I tried and failed but because I never really tried. I did learn to swim when I was at school and I passed the usual distance badges but I never took it further. Then, I got very body conscious and decided that taking my top off was not nice for anyone.

It has taken many many years, a desire for a new challenge and a great wife telling me not to be so stupid. Centre Parks was a great place to start. Compared to some of the people there, I look like an athlete. As I mentioned in my previous post, the first swim was a splash around with the kids and the second was a proper 40 minute swimming session.

I did a bit more before the end of the holiday with mixed results. I have to concentrate so hard to avoid swallowing water and as soon as I get tired, it goes to pot. I also still feel a panicky when out of my depth which I am going to have to overcome. I guess this will improve as I get more experienced and stronger.

I have changed gyms to one in Tooting which has a pool and I plan to get another few sessions in before my lessons start on the 16th.

10 comments:

  1. Good luck with it. I've found the Total Immersion approach good (although I'm still bad at it!), emphasising efficiency and not wasting energy - perfect for long course triathlon. There's plenty of stuff on t'Internet if you're interested and a book of course: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Total-Immersion-Revolutionary-Better-Faster/dp/0743253434

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rob. I have been recommended the TI program by a few people. I'll see how the lessons go as they provide some material including a DVD.

    Does learning swimming from a book work?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It can take you so far (I've fairly comfortably swam the Ironman distance for example) but I've been on a plateau for some time. I really need a coach to look at my technique to get better but would also like to avoid a costly coaching programme!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not great at being self-taught. I'm much better when taking instruction. I know its expensive but if the 8 lessons can give me the confidence to swim at a reasonable level, its £130 well spent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Simon, It's worth remembering that your swim will only be 10% or so of your race time - get up to swimming the distance comfortably and that's it. Much bigger gains to be made on the bike and run.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good point. It just seems such a barrier in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you got your Fred Whitton entry in?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Entry is in with a couple of friends. I guess you have. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I keep forgetting to turn my head clear of the water and regularly take a mouthfull too.

    I'd love to try a wild water / lake swim but I'm scared I would drown.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know what you mean RB. I forget to breath out which causes panic.

    I was watching vidoes on youtube last night about swimming in open water and saw that a lot of people didn't look that good which was comforting. And lots of heads above water so they could see where they were going.

    To the tri people, why are all tri tops sleeveless?

    ReplyDelete