Sunday 15 November 2009

Brighton 10K

Saturday was miserable. I woke with a stinking cold that had got worse and worse all day and outside it looked like the end of the world. I could not envisage running anywhere. I did some school work and pottered around the house watching my first TV in 8 days. At 6:30, we ventured out into the rain and all caught a train to Brighton to see my brother. He took us out for a nice Italian and we got to stay in a lovely room in his hotel.

Sunday morning was the Brighton 10k, a race I've run before but my brothers first time. It was actually my brothers first ever race and the first time he had run 10k. It was raining when I woke up but it soon cleared. My cold however, had not; I felt rough.

I had breakfast, porridge and toast, and then met up with Phil and his girlfriend Jo. We walked down to the start just past the pier, used the facilities, got some pins for our number and got to the start. The girls (my family and Jo) walked up the road to wave at us and we waited for the start.

At 10am we started but quite slowly. It was congested and we tried to make progress but it was hard. We went out 1.5 kms before turning back the way we came and through the start. We waved at the girls out and back and found the crowds thinning. We picked up the pace a little in spite of the head wind and made out way to the second turn around at 6.5 kms.

Once we'd made the turn for home, it was mentally easier and Phil's pace quickened. He was fine until 7 kms when he started to slow slightly. I pushed a little ahead to give him a carrot and he kept pace. In the last 1500 meters I could hear him breathing harder but he was not giving up and within sight of the finish he started sprinting. It took me by surprise but he didn't drop me. We weaved in and out of the runners getting faster and faster but still crossing the finish line together.

I'm so proud of my brother. It was great to run with him and a lot of fun. We had a huge Sunday lunch where I tried again to get him to do the marathon in April but he said never. Oh well, a 10k once a year will have to do.

Stats
Chip Time: 0:54:18
Overall Position: 1559th out of 2544
Male Position: 579th out of 1531
Weather: Overcast and windy. Not cold.
First Place: 00:29:03
Last Place: 1:44:11 (amazing guy with a walking problem who looked so determined when I saw him coming the other way)

Photos courtesy of Sussex Sport Photography. I have bought these pictures and I'm waiting on delivery.

1 comment: