Wednesday 25 November 2009

Plans are afoot

After taking the examples from the inspiring John Sutton and Rob Shipman, I am thinking of doing an ironman in 2010. I can't really swim that well but I'm pretty sure I can train myself up to get in under the 2 hrs 20 mins cut-off for the 2.4 mile swim. After that, its just a small matter of the 112 mile cycle and 26.2 mile run. These distances don't scare me like the swim does. I know I have no idea what its like to do one after the other but taking them in isolation, I know I can cycle and run that far.

The UK Ironman is in August which is perfect timing before I go on our family holiday. I have been thinking of doing an ironman for a couple of years but now I have gone back to work, time is more scarce. I know my NQT (newly qualified teacher) year will be extremely tough so if I don't do it in 2010, I might have to wait until 2012.

Currently, I have this planned:

2009
05 December 2009 - Endurance Life Gower Marathon

2010
14 February - St. Valentines 30k *
28 February - Meon Valley Plod
14 March - Surrey Spitfire 20 *
28 March - Bedford Harriers Oakley 20 *
18 April - Brighton Marathon
9 May - Fred Whitton *
6 June - Dragon Ride *
1 August - Ironman UK *
* Not entered yet

I have a 20 miler every other week up until the marathon as I'm very keen to break my PB. I'll need to add a long ride in every week as well with a really long one in on the weekends I'm not running 20 miles.

The swimming will have to be fitted in during the week and I need to add a couple of triathlons to get used to them. I've done duathlons but the whole wet suit thing is a mystery.

10 comments:

  1. Brave man! Somewhere in the future I want to do an ironman, look forward to following your training!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for it, Simon!Would have left a comment earlier, but too busy preparing for Ofsted tomorrow! And you want to become a teacher... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. do you have to do any qualifying events?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go fot it! You have a great bike and run base and I'm sure you can build the swimming up by August. Will be good to compare training notes on the build up to August (I think Outlaw is the week after IMUK)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys. The swimming will be interesting :-O

    John - Good luck with Ofsted. The school I'm at are waiting for the call.

    Kate - I don't think so. I hope not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rob - I wanted to do the outlaw as its closer to home and cheaper but we go away on holiday that weekend and its already booked.

    It will be great to follow your training too. Have you an actual plan to get you from Paris via Hardknott and the Tourmalet before Nottingham?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pity about the Outlaw - there seems to be a lot of interest in the event. I'm sure IMUK will be great too though.

    A plan? Does riding up hill a lot count?!

    I'm using Don Fink's book (http://bit.ly/8kSgrv) as a basis for my training plan for the ironman. With some pretty major variances like the frowned upon spring marathon. It's well worth a look, particularly as it sounds like you're going to be busy with limited training time.

    I've also found the tritalk.co.uk forum useful for info and advice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Book ordered. Thanks.

    I think riding up hill is what I'll be doing. It worked for the Etape.

    Frowned upon spring marathon! Why is it not good? I have Brighton marathon in the schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The general advice seems to be that the required taper and recovery time for a marathon is too disruptive to the training plan at that time. An autumn marathon (as you are doing) is seen to be a better option to get a confidence boosting marathon under the belt.

    My intention is to treat the spring marathon as a long training run however to try and minimise required recovery time. Might not be optimal but hopefully won't scupper my main goal of completing in a reasonable time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll have to give that some thought then. I was going to aim to get a PB. I figured there was 3 months between the marathon and the IM so it would be ok.

    ReplyDelete