Tuesday 8 September 2009

Gower Trail Marathon

With the disappointment of not being able to run the South Downs Marathon in October (because I'm doing the teach training course we had to move a weekend away), I decided to search for a different run.

After running both the North Devon and South Devon half marathons in the EnduranceLife Coastal Trail Series, I have decided to do one of their marathons. I've chosen the Gower Peninsular Trail Marathon in December.

I know it will be well organised and a stunning run. I'm fairly sure I can get the miles in between now and then although I know my time won't sent the world alight. From the half marathons I know that times were up to 50% longer than an equivalent road race because of the extreme terrain and hills so I figure I'll be closer to 5 hours than my PB of sub-4. The course record for the marathon at Gower is 3:21.

Its on a Saturday so I'm sure all the family will go down on the Friday night and we can make a weekend of it. I've now got to but together a solid training plan to get in miles and some good hill work. I'm already up to 10 mile runs so I'll push that up to half marathon distance over the next few weeks and then up to 15 or 16 in October. I'll then try and got two or three 20 miles in between the end of October and the end of November.

3 comments:

  1. Ouch, a course record of 3:21 tells you it will be one tough race! That's my time for the Derby Marathon - but that was 25 years ago! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5 hours running! - Owch.

    I just can't seem to find the time for running and cycling. Your blog is inspiring me to get my trainers back out and get running again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cycling but running is what really does it for me. I just hope to keep both going. Do you have a running race target Red?

    ReplyDelete