Wednesday 23 September 2009

Long run done

Well, after missing my long run at the weekend due to a cold, I planned to do it on Tuesday night if I felt better.

By Monday I was feeling much better so I did my usual 5 miles while my daughter was at her swimming club which went ok. I wasn't the quickest but everything felt fine.

I was going to do the long run on Tuesday evening but Wednesday's lectures didn't start until one so I worked on Tuesday and ran in the daylight today.

The first 5 miles were terrible. My calves were so tight that I had to stop and stretch twice. Once they loosened up my feet started to hurt. I really wasn't enjoying it.



When I got to Wimbledon, I got up the hill to the village and switched my ipod from podcasts to music. I had downloaded Pearl Jams new album and I listened to that. It was superb and really got me going. I think the hill had stretched my feet out and with the music, I started to enjoy it. I ran easier, faster and looser. The miles felt better and before I knew it, I was in Wandsworth.

Then it was off to Clapham Common and home. Over 12 miles run which was good. I didn't time it as I'm not concerned with time at present, just distance. My feet and calves are fine but my right knee is sore so I need to monitor that closely.

3 comments:

  1. Its very impressive how quickly you've worked up to 13miles. - Inspirational

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's amazing what different music can do to your pace unconsciously. for some reason early aretha franklin makes me run really fast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers Red. It does feel good but I know that it can go wrong quite quickly. I keep telling myself I must not do too much too quickly.

    Kate, normally I use music for short fast runs but podcasts and radio 4 or 5 for long runs to pass the time so this run was unusual.

    ReplyDelete