Thursday 10 September 2009

New Training Plan

I've been looking at my training over the next 12 weeks to see what I need to do to get me over the 26 miles in Wales. I took a 16 week program and tailored it to do what I think is enough. I'm up to 10 miles now so it should be fine.

I won't have time to do the usual 5 x 20 milers I usually try and do. I think I'll manage two 20s and an 18 as my longest runs. If I do much more I run the risk of shin splints and bad knees due to excessive mileage.

I also have the problem with trying to fit all these runs in. At the moment I'm at college from 9 until 4 and then I do some reading or work afterwards. I also take Yvette to and from school and all the usual family stuff. As I really hate running in the morning (unless I have at least an hour awake), I have to do most of my runs in the evening.

During the week, I'll be doing:
Mon: Recovery run (5 miles)
Tue: Threshold run (6 miles with 4 fast)
Wed: Middle distance run (8 - 12 miles)
Thu: Short, easy run (5 miles)
Fri: Rest Day
Sat: Short and fast. Maybe a 5K race
Sun: Long Runs

Long Runs
Week 1: 10 miles
Week 2: 13 miles
Week 3: 13 miles
Week 4: Maybe Autumn Epic Cycle
Week 5: 16 miles
Week 6: 18 miles
Week 7: 15 miles
Week 8: 20 miles
Week 9: 20 miles
Week 10: Brighton 10k
Week 11: 15 miles
Week 12: 9 miles
Week 13: Marathon

2 comments:

  1. No wonder I'ce got no chance of ever getting to 1/2 Marathon distance (let alone the full 26!). A week like that would have me on crutches!

    A short EASY 5 miles. - Pffft!

    Are you still cycling as well as running?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. I think the bike is going to get a little dusty over the coming months. I'm enjoying the running too much.

    Anyway, you did 8 miles the other day which is good and you are doing 120 miles on a fixie so its no wonder you don't have the time or energy to do 30+ miles running a week.

    ReplyDelete