Wednesday 30 September 2009

Sick again, football and running

I spent the last few days being sick again. Not a cold this time but a stomach bug. Both my kids had been ill and the house still smelt of vomit when I got it. It was nasty. I missed a really good trip with the school on Tuesday which was a shame.

By Tuesday night I was feeling better so I play 5-a-side football for the first time in over 12 months. My mates were short of players so I volunteered. I used to play regularly but quit after rupturing my groin a few years back. I tried to come back after it was healed but it would flare up after each match. I'm not sure what made me play this time - a bit risky given I have a marathon in 10 weeks.

I was worried I would be more terrible that I usually am but I held my own and managed not to embarrass myself. Fitness is my strength so I spent most of the match chasing down the ball. If and when I won it I tried to make a simple pass to someone on my team and retreat to defence. It seemed to work some of the time.

Today I ran home from school. 5.2 miles at a medium pace. My knee was a little sore from football but my groin/aductor was fine - touch wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment