Sunday 25 April 2010

Good week after marathon

History shows that after a marathon, I turn into a lazy bloke who likes his biscuits.  In the past, I have gone to seed in the weeks after a big event like a marathon, using the excuse of a 'job well done' to 'treat' myself for several days (or weeks).

This time, the marathon isn't this season's goal so I have to keep going.  My legs were like lead so running was out.  I found cycling fine so I was on the bike on Monday for the short commute to college.  Same on Tuesday and then Wednesday I decided to use my early finish to go for a swim.  My legs ached so I hardly used them but managed 35 minutes.

On Thursday, we had a full day of PE instruction.  We basically spent the entire day playing games that we might use with the kids in school.  It was great fun but tough doing it from 9am until gone 4pm with a short lunch break.  Friday was another swim and Saturday my swim lesson please 25 miles on the bike.

Sunday was a special day.  I started with a very slow run before heading down to docklands to see a couple of friends run the marathon.  One, Simon, was aiming to smash his PB and the other, Charlie, his first time looking to get round and enjoy it.  I was so excited for both of them of loved watching the race (but would have rather been running it).  Simon did a superb 3:44:30 and Charlie finished and is now in the marathon club.

I got emotional several times with people struggling or battling their inner demons.  I got most emotional at the beginning as I saw the elite men run past.  It is the first time I've seen the elites in a big event and they were stunning.  Shere brilliance.  They took my breath away.

Swim:
Time - 2 hrs 20 mins
Distance - 2.3 kms

Cycle:
Time - 5 hrs
Distance - 62 miles

Run:
Time - 1 hrs 7 mins
Distance - 6.6 miles

Totals:
Time - 8 hrs 27 mins

5 comments:

  1. Shere surely should be sheer

    ReplyDelete
  2. It probably should. I bet you can also spell pedantic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. So can you, well done have a gold star

    ReplyDelete
  4. Runners meme, Run meme Really I enjoy your site with effective and useful information. It is included very nice post with a lot of our resources.thanks for share. i enjoy this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marathon Training Schedule Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info.

    ReplyDelete