Friday 9 April 2010

Why is swimming so hard

My confidence during my swim lessons has grown so much but as soon as I get in the 'big pool' at Tooting, it all goes to pot.

Today, I could not get my breathing, hand entry and catch right.  I could concentrate on one of the three and the other two would be a mess.  The length of the pool makes a huge difference.  It is 33 meters where as I have lessons on a 20 meter pool.  And I can't use flippers so it seems a long way doing drills.  I also still get a little frantic as I go over the deep end but that is getting less each time.

I know that what I consider 'going to pot' now is nothing like it was 2 months ago but I still think about swimming 2.4 miles and wonder how it is ever going to happen.  As the family are back next week, I can go to the pool every day from Tuesday to Saturday to get some consistent practice done.  It will also be good to get off my knee before the marathon.

One final thing, how cruel is it that its sunny this week.  I should have been out cycling every day but I can't and its the most beautiful weather for riding.  Sunny and warm, no wind.  Arrrghhhh!!!

1 comment:

  1. I can't really get the hang of swimming either. I have to keep stopping because i've got water up my nose.

    I'm going to try using a clothes peg next time I go (Not serious about the peg).

    ReplyDelete