Sunday 18 April 2010

Well, its was a PB

Full report to follow but these are the facts.

1st Goal: Sub 4 - ACHIEVED
2nd Goal: Break my PB of 3:57:40 - ACHIEVED
3rd Goal: Break 3:55 (my Dad's PB) - FAIL (again, Arrrhhhhh)
4th Goal: Get sub 3:50 - FAIL
I was feeling good at mile 20, on track for 3:48.  Then felt very bad by 21.  Missed two of my goals but it could have been worse.  I had to dig so deep in the last 2 miles.

Contributing factors:

1. The Heat - It was hot.  Probably the hottest day of the year so far.  Their was a slight breeze on the sea front but airless everywhere else.
2. Heart Rate - Looking at my HR figures, they were high from the start.  My last 20 mile run had an average HR in zone 2 (2.5) but I was only in zone two for the first 3 miles.  Miles 4 to 13 in zone 3 and the rest in zone 4.  Probable the heat.
3. Pain - Really tight and painful thighs in the last 4 miles.
4. Blisters - I had two of the biggest blisters I have ever had.  Very odd.  It might have been the reason for the thigh pain.  Blisters can make you run differently which results in pain.

Distance: 26.2 miles
Time: 3:57:31 (PB)
Average Heart Rate: zone 3.6
Finish: 1766th out of 7,500 finishers

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the PB - great effort! Sounds like you had a tough last few miles. It's amazing how many times I hear that going past 20 miles is like flicking the off switch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats - that's one mighty blister!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. good running! a pb is always good news, so 2 out of 4 is brilliant. the blisters might have come from the heat, if you were sweating more than usual?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done! Hope the blisters heal quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good effort, Simon. Definitely showing more moral fibre than me (wimping out on the full distance at Blackpool last week). A word of warning: the lack of miles in the hills hit me hard on yesterday's sportive. How long is it until the Fred???

    ReplyDelete
  6. A PB and Sub 4! Well done, those blisters look grim, a matching pair.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rob - It is amazing. I'm not sure if 20 miles is a metal barrier or physical but around 20 or 21, people do start dropping like flies.

    Stuart - It popped and now its very painful.

    Kate - Yeah, you might be right with the heat. Certainly never had them that bad before.

    Jumbly - Cheers

    John - Nonsense. Your HM times are superb. And don't talk to me about the Fred. Its going to be a long day.

    Julbags - They are now a matching pair of flappy skin.

    ReplyDelete