Tuesday 13 April 2010

iPod or not to iPod

So I was checking through the details of the Brighton Marathon when I noticed one of the items in the FAQ:

Q38.Can I listen to music as I go around the course?
A38. No. It is considered dangerous to wear headphones or iPods at events of this size. Should there be any blue light services needing to pass you or any emergency messages given out over tannoy systems whilst you are running you will need to be aware of them; therefore we must insist that headphones are not worn.

I had been planning on taking my iPod and wearing it for the first 20 miles or until I passed the family where I would take it off so I could concentrate of keeping going (that's the way it works for me).  Now it seems I cannot.

There is no mention of disqualification and its not worded in a severe tone so I imagine you could probably get away with it but I'm not the sort of person to go against rules.  I understand it can reduce a races insurance.  If that is the case, charge extra for iPod usage.

I posted a comment on the Brighton Marathon Runners World forum but quickly retracted it before I got flamed from all the iPod haters which there are many.  It does seem to be a bit of a Marmite topic in the running community.  And it does annoy me when I get lumped in with other inconsiderate runners who have their music on too loud so others can hear or cut people up.  I do neither.

After retracting my comment, I got a message from another forum member telling me how fierce the argument had got in previous weeks.  Some members threatened to 'out' iPod wearers and encourage water to be thrown at them.  Many said that iPod wearers were not 'proper runners'.  Idiots.

I also understand the need to soak up the atmosphere and wearing an iPod cuts you off from all that but I like my solitude when I run.  I am not really a people person when running.  This is why I prefer smaller runs or cross country where you can be in a race but also on your own.  I also do not believe that the bands on the course make up for the loss of my choice of music.  Humbug!

The safety aspect is often brought up.  I understand the argument but has it every actually happened?  Has an emergency vehicle ever been stopped by a runner with an iPod on.  I imagine they would just get a clip around the ear by other runners.

Having said all that, I will leave my iPod in the hotel and spend just less than 4 hours listening to myself go on and on about one thing or another.  Yawn.

4 comments:

  1. Good luck in Brighton at the weekend. Last weekend's experience reminded me just how bloody hard marathons are - with or without the iPod!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting one. I have never biked or ran with an ipod before this weekend. But bought an mp3 player recently to help with the boredom during the 24hour race I am doing. Wore it on sunday when I was on my own. Low enough I could still hear people and cars and enjoyed it. I hate when I try and pass people when I'm mountain biking and I'm shouting and due to having an ipod in they can't hear me though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i had no idea that road runners could be so unfriendly or that ipod's could be so controversial. if it states no in the rules then i'd not bother, just doesn't seem worth the hassle, just sing really loudly. that'll show 'em ;)

    have a good run!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rob - I just read your report on Paris. Excellent effort mate. Good work.

    Trio - That's my point. Using an iPod in not inherently wrong. Having them too loud is the danger.

    Kate - I won't be wearing it. I'm too good to break rules :-(

    ReplyDelete