Friday 2 April 2010

Back on track

Well, after last Sunday's aborted long run (13 rather than the 20), I had one last opportunity for a proper long run before the marathon in just over two weeks.  As usual, when I have all day, I take all day to get out of the door.  I had to be back for 5 for a family movie followed by a trip to Belgo.  20 miles in around 3 hours so I had to be out of the house by no later than 2 o'clock.

So at 2:15, as I left the house, I was already set to be late and in trouble.  Rather than a loop that took me past my house for refreshments and the temptation to stop, I more my CamelBak and when on my London run carrying 1.5 ltrs.

The route took me through Battersea Park, Sloane Square, up Sloane Street with the posh shoppers and into Hyde Park.  I did a full clockwise loop of the Park before heading down to Buckingham Palace.  I then ran the last 4 miles of London Marathon route in reverse; The Mall, Birdcage Walk, Embankment to Tower Bridge.  It was quite exciting.  It was also very obvious that the many of the runners out today had a certain nervousness in their eyes!!!!

I do think its time for me to run London again.  Apart from the first one, I've had a terrible time at London as I was always trying for a time and failed miserably.  If I was to run it again, I could just enjoy it.

Once over Tower Bridge, I'd done around 14 and it was past the mayor's building and down the South Bank.  This is always a nightmare and I spent a while dodging people or stopping to wait for a gap.  This certainly slowed me.

The last few miles were tough in some ways.  My thighs were really tight which is a little concerning.  I will have to get a couple of massages before the big day.  My speed didn't drop which is great.  The other issue was that when I got home and stretched, I got some terrible cramps in my right calf; probably linked to my knee and tight quads.  Again, a sports massage should really help with this.

Details
Distance: 20.3 miles
Time: 3 hours 4 mins
Average Heart Rate: Zone 2.0 (81% of max)
Cadence: 81 spm

Nutrition
Not really enough
One Gel
One Cola PowerBar with caffeine
1.5 Ltrs of water
A large burger at Belgos

No comments:

Post a Comment