Friday 26 February 2010

I hate morning workouts

Monday was a busy day.  I started my 2nd teacher training placement at a school around the corner from my house.  My first placement in a reception class and the day went past in a blur.  All a bit manic but I think it will calm down once I get to know the children and the routines of the school.

In the evening I forced myself on the the treadmill whilst my daughter was swimming and got a good 5 mile quick run done.  I pushed hard and ran strongly.  I got some good stretching in as well.

For the next 5 weeks, I'll be leaving home at 7:40 to start at school at 8 and with the evenings busy, I'm going to have to some sessions early in the morning.  I tried this on Tuesday and was up at 5:45 in order to get to the gym (5 mile cycle away), get in a swim and then get all the way back to school.  I HATE this.  I don't perform well in the mornings, the pool is packed at that time and I just feel really rushed.  I have no alternative but its no where near ideal.  As a result, the swim was terrible.

I had a much better swim yesterday.  For the first time, I did several lengths where I just forget about swimming.  I realised I was thinking about other things and not my breathing or my stroke.  A breakthrough?

3 comments:

  1. Gosh that's dedication Simon - and the pool is really busy at that time?! Good time on the 5 mile runs too, you're going well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Andrew. The pool is council run so during the day its full of school kids learning to swim and most evenings there are swim clubs taking up either most or all of the pool so most people training go between 6:30am and 9:00 or 12:30 to 13:30; meaning its busy.

    I am so pleased about the 5 miler. It is nice to run fast again rather than all the plods I've been doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on the early mornings. Although 5:45am is the middle of the night for me. A swim when the pool opens at 7:20 is early morning for me and that feels hard enough! I wouldn't be able to manage your upcoming routine!

    ReplyDelete