Thursday 11 February 2010

Swimming Progress

After Monday's rest day and Tuesday where life got in the way, I was determined to make up for it on Wednesday. But I often find that if I miss a couple of days and get out of the routine, I find it incredibly easy to find a reason not to go training. This was my Wednesday.

So today, I was cross with myself. After lectures I headed for the pool and started with a few lengths of regular front crawl to warm up. Then I switched to a few lengths on my side before starting catch-up. This was the drill I learnt on Saturday.

I did length after length of this, occasionally switching to a length of regular front-crawl. The odd thing was, I found the catch-up stroke, touching hands at the front each time, easier and more calm than the full stroke. The full stroke was quicker but I was still fighting the water a bit. Catch-up felt smooth and I could really concentrate of a long stroke and a strong pull.  I guess my full stroke is a way from perfect but at least is going in the right direction.

I got to 20 lengths and then 30. I was getting tired but decided I should get to the hour mark and 40 laps. The last few laps were not great but I made it. I'm really chuffed.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting to see the drills they're giving you. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting how? Does it seem an odd set of drills?

    We started with legs, then on side for rotataion and breathing. Then drawing our thumb up our back to keep elbow up, then shark fin, then dangling fingers in water. Then catch-up +2, catch-up +1 and catch-up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm finding it remarkably hard to remember how to swim after a 20 year break so I know how you feel. Despite kicking hard and paddeling for all i'm worth I don't move forward very quickly at all.
    I'm sure you'll soon get there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never had swimming coaching so I'm interested to hear what drills they give you so that I can have a try myself.

    What do you mean catch-up +2? Catch-up with two normal strokes in between?

    ReplyDelete