Saturday 13 February 2010

SwimForTri Lesson 5

Another good lesson today.  After Thursday's great swim I had a nightmare on Friday morning, probably because I was tired or just the law of averages (for every good session there has to be a bad one).  Everything felt so hard so I really wanted a good lesson so keep the momentum.

Today's session was to link timing and rotation.  As I understand it, doing the basic extension makes you get used to rotation and shark fin and catch-up helps with the stroke.  We added the head-touch drill to keep improving our stroke and then basic extension with a stroke to link rotation and stoke.  I really enjoyed it and got a nice comment from the coach that my head position is really good.

This is what we did:

Kick only on front - To practice kicking correctly.
Kick only on back - To practice kicking correctly.
Basic Extension (BE) - swim on one side for a length turning head only to breath.
Shark fin - BE and tracing thumb up side to point elbow at ceiling.
Catch-up - Swimming flat, full stroke, touching hands in front each time.
Head touch - Used to keep hand high and aid good hand entry into water.
Full stroke - To put into practice all of the above.
BE with switch - Swimming on side with a single stroke ending up on other side.
Full stroke - No flippers.

My stroke is definitely getting better.  I really feel that I can pull through the water.  My breathing is ok at times but I'm still either holding my breath or taking too deep breaths and both end up with me having to stop.

Long run tomorrow.  Two hours or more.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this Simon. Interesting. I wonder about the catch up drill as one of things I've read is that you should not cross the centre line as this creates drag. This drill seems to encourage that or at least getting close to that.

    I can't bring myself to go down the fin route in the local pool, so that rules out quite a few drills

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think catch-up encourages a long stroke and to keep your hands up but I know what you mean.

    I do the drills finless. Its hard work and I can't manage a full length but its possible.

    ReplyDelete